Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2004/02/11

Depression

Doctor please help me out. about a year and a half back i found out i was HIV positive and i stressed for a while but came to terms with it and believe that i have accepted my status. Recently i managed to get myself in a lot of debt and now i have no solution. I am so deep into debt i do not answe my phones anymore both wrk and cell. I cannot sleep at night and have all these funny symptoms. I have a stomach ulcer, the worst chest pain and headaches all the time . I am now taking sleeping pills to get some sleep but afraid that i will be dependant on them. My main concern is that the stress will affect my immune system and because of that i stress more. I know i am supposed to see a psychologist but cannot afford one at this stag. Please can you advise me on this matter and if you know of any support group 4 pple with stress and depression (Pretoria), can i have their numbers.

Than you Doc

Dear Liza,
Well, try SADASG, as cb suggests ( pity they don't have a tidier abbreviation !). You're right that continuing stressing won't help. Also check out --- there are various HIV/AIDS hotlines you could call --- the Government tells us that they've arranged a comprehensive availability of free counselling for people living with HIV --- find out what they've provided in your area. Maybe even call the HIV/AIDS coordinatior at the Dept of Health in Pretoria.

1
Posted by: cb | 2004/02/11

Hi Lisa
Try calling the South African Depression & Anxiety Support Group on 011 783-1474. They have groups in Pretoria as well and will be able to help you.

Love & Luck
C

Reply to cb