Question
Posted by: Inc | 2004/01/19

Depression

Hi doc...
I have been on Lorien for about 8 months now and I have still been having depression episodes... to an extent where I want to end my life... do I continue with the Lorien, or do I need something else?

Dear Inc,
Sorry, but I must disagree with Munchie here. The site recommended by Munchie is aquack-oriented site showing far too many signs of promoting eccentric and extremist views having nothing to do with proper science and evidence. The "doctor" the site glorifies is not medically qualified, and seems to have devoted her career to finding bad things to say about antidepressant drugs. Some of her board seem oddly qualified, too, none seem to have appropriate qualifications to be considered an authority on this topic --- I'd as soon accept the opinion of an orthopaedic surgeon on psych drugs, as I'd allow a psychoanalyst to operate on my knee. The site is alarmist, exaggerates risks and seems to make no reference at all to possible benefits, ignoring sound scientific evidence on such matters, It provides handy links to American lawyers eager to sue drug companies for damages, which is hardly a sign of a group which is objective on the topic.
Inc, if you have not expereicned significant benefit within even 2 months, you should see again your doctor, ( and if the prescription was from a GP, I'd recommend seeing a specialist psychiatrist, for a full, proper assessment to clarify the correct diagnosis, and to review possible treatment. With any antidepressant mdicine, only around 70 % of people respond well to the first one that is tried, yet those who don't, are likely to respond properly to a second such medicine. It does sound as if you need and deserve something else. Also, check out with the doctor / psychiatrist the availability in your area of a specific form of psychotherapy, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy (CBT ) which is the only other remedy which has good research indicating that it is effective in treating Depression.

3
Posted by: Munchie | 2004/01/30

Silly girl - you were quite right in panicing when you saw that site - frightening stuff hey? Makes you think doesnt it? The stats on people who are on anti depressants and commit suicide or go ballistic and shoot their family should tell you something - anti depressants DO NOT WORK, they in fact do the OPPOSITE. How can taking a drug that has 15 negative side effects (for eg) be beneficial or healthy to any individual!!!!!! There IS an alternative - I know with absolute certainty

Reply to Munchie
Posted by: Inc | 2004/01/21

Doc, thank you for your response... I did panic when I saw that web-site... I don't think I can function with my Lorien! I am HIV positive and I had a baby in May 2003... I can't describe the trauma that I went through when it came to the time for the baby to be tested. I went through the pregnancy alone and through all the tests alone and for the first time in my life, I couldn't think about anything! I don't even want to feel like that again! It was actually the nurse who took my baby's blood that sent me straight to my GP when she saw the state I was in! I dont want to be on medication all the time... but I'm too scared to stop! I will take your advice and seek Psychiatric help... although it is quite difficult... I don't have a car and I have 3 children who need me.
thanks again!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Munchie | 2004/01/19

I suggest you go to the website drugawareness.org and see what the experts have to say about Lorien and others.

They are not recommended as the do more harm than good. There is another way out - trust me I know.

Reply to Munchie