Question
Posted by: SYD | 2003/12/02

Depression?

In short I was a Police man for 6 years and dealt with a lot of road accidents(fatal), murders, suicides, train killings and natural deaths.
Also had to assist with cleaning up after these scenes.
Was involved in a car accident where i injured my back and my wife who was 3.5 months pregnant with our first born had a miscarage because of the accident(was with me in the car).
Because of the injury my quality of life decreased a lot as i can not do what i were used to.

Nowadays my moodswings, sleeplesness, nightmares if i do get some sleep is getting worse.
Also feel like crying for no apparent reasons, and can not get the imamges of the dead people out of my system!

Have any good advice?

Dear Syd,
Could be a post-trauma problem like PTSD. It's actually not uncommon for someone who has been exposed to seriously awful stuff earlier in their lives, to cope with it at the time, and then to become overwhelmed when they face a later more directly personal trauma, as you did. In a conflict like the First Gulf War, some of the people most vulnerable to developing PTSD ater meeting combat trauma in that conflict, included those exposed without apparent obvious ill-effect in previous war, and even those who had been abused as children --- some traumatic exposure causes an obvious disorder, some causes a vulnerability to later trauma and its effects.
This is treatable, and it would be worth seing a psychiatrist for a proper assessment of your current state, and advice on treatment, which can include some specific medications and some more specific counselling. The results can be very well worth it.