Question
Posted by: PMS Depressed | 2004/10/28

Depressed before and during menstruation

I feel severly depressed before and during my period. It never used to be like that, I'm generally happy and satisfied, but it just suddenly(no great happening or gradual bigger feeling of depression) started about a year ago and it's really bad. During this time of depression which usually lasts about 10 days, I can think of nothing that gives me pleasure, I cant see how Ive ever enjoyed anything and I keep wishing that somehow I would die without having to commit suicide. If I could be erased from the face of the earth without hurting anyones feelings, I would do it. My boyfriend and my sister keeps me alive because I love them more than myself and I dont want to cause them such pain. After someone commits suicide their loved ones always feel guilty. I dont want them to feel guilty because they arent the reason I want to die. Neither of them are aware of the way I feel, coz they shouldnt feel that if they arent nice to me maybe i'll shoot myself. The problem is in my head. I cant seem to be disciplined enough to tell myself stop this damned self pity. It must be difficult for you to give me advise with so little background, but anything will help. The reason I havent been to a shrink is because my Dad thinks it's absurd, that i should be able to figure out and solve the problem myself by analizing it and thinking about it. By the way I'm 20. Maybe I already know the solution, maybe I just want a little simpathy and a shoulder to cry on, someone who wont think too much about my words like my boyfriend or sister would do.

Hello PMSD,
Such severe mood shifts, influenced by the hormonal shifts of mentrual cycles, are not uncommon, and deserve to be treated with respect, by you and others. DO see a psychiatrist, as this could be helped a lot, not only by mood-enhancing drugs like antidepressants, but also possibly by manipulating those hormones into a more stable pattern. it's a pity if your Dad thinks it's absurd, but he knows nothing whatever about this field of knowledge, and his assessment deserves to be ignored. You don't need his permission or consent. And do see a counsello as well, so you can get this all sorted out --- you deserve it, and it'll benefit all those you love, as well.

4
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2004/10/28

Hi there,
I think getting depressed before and during menstruation is tied to hormones as well and many a contraceptive can bring this onset so you should definitely talk to your GP. It would also not be a bad thing to go for counselling, you don't need your Dad's approval, do it for yourself, only you can make the change. Btw if you are only doing things for the bf and your sister, you are not only depressed with menstruating, it is just worse then so you must discuss this with your GP too, let him refer you to someone for help. Remember to do things for yourself and love yourself, doing things only for others means you neglect yourself and feel you have no selfworth, but you do have, because you have a lot of love in you and it is dieing to come out.
Good luck.
Take care.

Reply to Beyond Tired
Posted by: Snooks | 2004/10/28

Smiley face, chocolate is not good! Apparently a week or so before your period you must avoid chocolate! Anything that contain sugar!

Reply to Snooks
Posted by: :) | 2004/10/28

EAT CHOCOLATE _ HELPS ME FEEL BETTER!!!

Reply to :)
Posted by: concerned | 2004/10/28

If this feeling of depression only lasts before and during your period it could be linked to hormones. Perhaps you should see your GP and have some blood tests done. It could also be a result of your contraceptive, different ones work for different people and a change might just help. Take care and remember, you're still young and this too shall pass.

Reply to concerned