Question
Posted by: mika | 2007/06/14

depressed about crime in SA

For the past year or so I've become very paranoid about the crime situation in our country. I have also become a very anxious and negative person, and rarely see the positive side of situations and people. I am currently trying to emmigrate to another country, but my qualifications dont really meet their standards,so I enrolled in another course to better my chances, but this is going to take 3 years. I just cant shake this feeling of doom that something is going to happen to me or my family before then. I feel really trapped. are there other people who feel this way?

Its a difficult thing to get into perspective, isn't it ? Its miserable to be paranoid, and excessively worried and suspicious ; and dangerous no to be worried and suspicious enough ! But are you sure that this persistent feeling of doom you are describing might not be related to a Depression, which might benefit from treatment --- not so that you'd be unrealistically happy and ignore the obvious dangers, but so that you'd feel more confident of being able to cope with it. <br>As for sir benjamin, I rally had no idea that the Minister of Safety and Security read this forum ! Having lived and worked in Europe, the UK , USA and Canada, of course crime happens in all countries --- but NOWHERE outside of Baghdad is there so much senseless cruel violence along with such high crime levels. Denial of the extent and nature of the crime problem here is of great comfort to the criminals, and greatly endangers the nation<br>

8
Posted by: Britty | 2007/06/14

Dear Sir Whatever,

You think that its only in the UK that 10 year olds commit crime, its happening in SA as well, wake up!!!t

Reply to Britty
Posted by: mika | 2007/06/14

SB
I hear what your'e saying, and I agree about becoming pro active, but what about the rest of the problem? if the criminal gets caught but the justice system is all wrong, or the police investigation is not done properly, where does that leave one? back to this feeling of helplessness. thank you Cyber Doc for your reply.

Reply to mika
Posted by: Sir benjamin of waterloo and trafalgar | 2007/06/14

im sorry for your loss but violent crime DOES happen overseas, im not denying that it is bad in SA. crimes in the uk are carried out by 10 year olds!!!
like i said dont let it get you depressed or the perpetrators have won. dont let it get to you. fight back. dont just lay down and cry about being depressed about crime become pro active.

Reply to Sir benjamin of waterloo and trafalgar
Posted by: mika | 2007/06/14

Dear sir benjamin, i am well aware of the fact that there is crime overseas, but is it as bad or voilent as here? My grandfather was attacked by 5 men in his house in KZN, he bled to death on the kitchen floor and all the robbers took was an old brick cellphone. the investigation was a nightmare, they eventually caugt 2 of the 5, they were both in prison before, and released on good behavior, they are now in prison for 15 years each. now tell me this happens all over the world.

Reply to mika
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/06/14

Sir whoever - it's worse in SA!! I feel the same as you do mika

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: sir benjamin of waterloo and trafalgar | 2007/06/14

its no good getting depressed if you arent doing anything to remedy the situation. join a policing forum or neighbourhood watch then at least you will be doing something constructive about it instead of getting depressed about it, they have bad crime overseas too, its a worldwide scourge, its not just here on your doorstep.

Reply to sir benjamin of waterloo and trafalgar
Posted by: C | 2007/06/14

Mika: I know exactly what you are going through.

Reply to C
Posted by: Expat | 2007/06/14

Good luck with your studies and may you have a lekker time abroad wherever you are going. At least you have taken a stand instead of those who moan and moan forever.

Reply to Expat