Question
Posted by: Jane | 2008/05/28

depressed

I know I am depressed but I just don't have the energy to do anything about it. My son is a drug addict, my other son is gay and if my husband finds out he will hit the roof. I am so lonely, I have dropped all my friends because I just wanted to be alone and I can't tell them about my sons, they just won't understand. We are broke as my son has cost us a ton in rehabs etc which don't seem to have helped.
I am so very tired of struggling every day, of taking on all the family problems, I wake up tired and go to sleep praying that I will die in my sleep - I don't have the guts to do away with myself.
HELP

You've taken an important step by sharing these thoughts with us. You CAN and must see to it that your Depression is properly treated. Sorry to hear about your concerns for your sons. Rehab is useless unless the addict actually sincerely wants to change, and maybe he isn't at that stage yet. He also needs to do far more to help himself, rather than expect you to do it alll and pay for it all. Its sad if your husband would react badly to discovering his son is gay --- that need not be any problem in life, and is nobody's "fault", so anger is entirely inappropriate, and speaks more to the inner problems of the angry person than to anything else.
But you need and deserve proper treatmetn which could help you to fel happier and stronger, and more able to cope with this all. A GP can diagnose depression and prescribe good cheaper but equally effective generic antidepressants. And check out, if budget is constrained, what's available through a government hospital or nearest medical school. And maybe the Anxiety/Depression Support Group has a group near you that could be supportive and helpful.

1
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/05/29

im sorry. it sound terrible. i have wished i would die in my sleep so many times. i understand that feeling of wanting to be alone and not having the energy to do anything. its like your body keeps moving, but your mind is catatonic. i also understand that you dont want to "burden" your husband with your depression, but it is best that you tell him and maybe he can offer u support. otherwise go to the docter and he/she can suggest an able shrink, or even call a government hospital to take you as an outpatient, and it will be free therapy and meds.

Reply to almost mad