Question
Posted by: Cecilia | 2007/11/27

Depressed

I thought I was ok until an hour ago. I got to my desk from lunch and I just started crying. I dont know why. The past few weeks have been hectic, I started a new job and in the middle I have been busy with various business proposals but nothing has really come together. Most of my business success is really dependent on "other people" , i have not launched anything yet its all still in the making but I am already depressed!, I have no interest on my new job, I am even worried I will be in trouble with my new boss, I take long to finish stuff cos the truth is that I am only here physically otherwise I am really far away. I keep on convincing myself that I have 4 weeks until 2008 and will come back refreshed. I dont know whats wrong with me, its a case of wanting something so bad u dont know what or how your life will turn out if it does not happen. I feel desperate, the other day I was even contemplating leaving my job without a plan B, its foolish i know but im just not up to it emotionally, im too tired, no energy, must i see a pychologist????

Ecellent response from MZ. It sounds as though you're getting too wound up about plans for the future about which you can't really do anything useful right now, while neglecting your present job which you CAn do really well right now, and doing that well WILL help yopur future plans as well

2
Posted by: anon | 2007/11/27

You may be suffering from anxiety/panic disorder. You may have very high standards for yourself, you want to achieve, Type A personality, but remember, it does take time, be patient, just do what you have to do, even it seems like you are plodding along. Set little mini goals, work methodically, and plan your day wisely.

Try not to spend too much time worrying about things that haven't happened yet, or according to what you had envisioned or planned.

If you feel your depression is not lifting, see your Dr and get an antidepressant to help you over this patch. Perhaps some counselling or self introspection, like journalling might enlighten you as to WHY you are feeling the way you do.

Get yourself a motivation tape/cd/book, read it and see if you feel better.

Are you doing what you want to do....perhaps write about all your dreams, wishes, goals etc. as well.

Good luck!

Reply to anon
Posted by: MZ | 2007/11/27

Hi Cecilia.

I don't think that you should give up just yet. If this is your first job (out of highschool or varsity) it is completely normal to have these feelings. It takes a while to get into a new job and become accustomed to the work place and collegues. I myself felt extremely down when I first started working - it took about 5 months before I started to feel comfortable with my surroundings.

Give yourself a chance - like you said - it's only 4 more weeks. The experience itself is good and if you're really not happy - rather look for something else and then leave, then just give up.

Hope this helps a little. CHIN UP :) Good luck!!

Reply to MZ