Question
Posted by: depressed | 2004/11/29

depressed?

Hi all. I have written numerous times on this site and I dont know what is wrong with me. My b/friend broke up with me about a week ago and I just cant seem to stop thinking about it. I wasnt that happy in the relationship, so why am I like this? I sleep all the time, can focus on anything, cant eat (I have lost 5kg in a week) and not interested in anybody else. Am I depressed? Do I need medication?

For a week after a meaningful break=up, that's about par for the course, isn't it ? And even if not happy in that relationship, we don't enjoy breaking habits, even bad habits. Medication may well NOT be what you need, but maybe a spot of counselling, best of all after a consultation with a shrink, for a proper assessment.

2
Posted by: Maggie | 2004/11/29

There is a very fine line between WANT and NEED. Children NEED their parents for social, economic, mental, physical and emotional support. Do you want the person because the sex was great THAT IT ISNT IT? YOU SCARED OF BEING ALONE?
You know the saying BEEN THERE DONE THAT, well I have got a closet full of the T-Shirts. You do not need a man, you need shelter, food and most importantly emotional support at this stage from FRIENDS, I have the best friend in the world that helped me through the pain that I went through eight years ago you will not heal right away, but in time you will and like I told when of the other people writing in today you will forget a little thing about him each passing moment. There is one thing that I actually learned from my ex boyfriends best friend, he knowing the kind of dog my ex was said to me " what hold you to him" you know after carefully thinking I said his sense of humour and then it finally clicked, I was holding on to a joke (in more ways then one) You will for a while lose sleep over it and lose some weight (great if you need to take full advantage of it, you will be the better for it) my ex relationships made me stronger with each breakup STAY STRONG GIRL

Reply to Maggie
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/29

Hi D,

I am sorry to hear that you've written in so many times & yet still question yourself. Yes you definitely do sound like you're depressed, but medication would be best prescribed by a professional.
Have you not at least seen a GP yet D? Please do, it's really important. I know a lot of us would very much like to lose 5kg in 1 week , but I can only imagine what this must be doing to your body.
You say you weren't happy in the realtionship, so at least be happy that you're out of it.
Fair enough you may not be interested in anybody else right now, but who says you should be!?
Nah, you're allowed to feel the emotions of being a single again, but not to the detriment of your health.

Take care,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun