Question
Posted by: Ooze | 2004/02/13

depressed

dear cs
I am depressed. I have suffered from depression for years and at times seen some one and taken meds. Ive had three children and went through severe post natal depression. Until two years ago I was taking arapax and there was a time when I thought it would be for life.
I get irritated when I cant get out of the rut. I am aware that I have had some major upsets recently but since they have been resolved the feeling is that I should now forget and get on with life.

I just cant seem to get my old spark back. I put on a happy go lucky face and attitude and even the psychologist Im seeing says Im doing well.

I did warn him that I am a master at covering my feelings and even though he is supposed to be there to help me deal with feelings I have real difficulty letting go enough to actually show mine. Im happy to tell him what is wrong and very unemotionally I tell him how I feel but I cant show it and so most ppl think Im OK. But Im not and Im scared. How can I fix this.
My family think I should take a pill so to speak and want me back on arapax. I feel like thats not the solution as this started due to events. I hate taking meds as it makes me feel like Im not normal

Ooze,
If you're really a master at covering your feelings ( and inded some of us are ), you ought to be abl to become a master at UNCOVERING them when seeing your therapist. And if you are abl to tell him about them, there's no need to demonstrate. Research shows that some of us, though feeling deeply, have a specific handicap in finding words to express our emotions ( called Alexithymia). Pills are often not the WHOLE solution, but, combined with therapy, they can be a valuable part of the solution.

1
Posted by: Casper | 2004/02/16

Or you can get therapy WITHOUT the drugs and still be helped. Now isnt that a much better option???

Reply to Casper