Question
Posted by: h. | 2004/01/22

depressed

I am 21 and dont know what to do. I suffer from some form of depression. For the past 4 weeks i never feel good, always feel like crying even at the silliest things, and I also keep on eating cause i just feel better when i eat. I have been on anti-depre. about a year ago and it helped. My doctor took me of them after 6months because i felt better but now i feel worse than ever. Is there some medication i can take without consulting a doctor again? I am not on a medical aid anymore. thank you for the help.

h, I expect that though you may feel a little better when eating, you then feel bad about having eaten too much, so it's no lasting solution, is it ? It sounds very much as if your Depression has returned ( it often does this ) and you probably do need to restart antidepressants. If you're not on medical aid, there are two main alternatives. One is that your GP can prescribe one of the newer drugs but in the generic form which are chemically equivalent but considerably cheaper than the full branded versions ; the other is that you can go to a state health clinic / provincial hospital clinic / University Medical School Dept of Psychiatry, and get an assessment and prescription at a lower price which ought to be means tested, in other words, the cost depending on your earnings. Press ahead with either of these options --- you deserve it.

1
Posted by: Munchie | 2004/01/30

Of course your 'depression has returned' it was meant to, thanks to the drugs you are on! Do you know of anyone who has come off anti depressants and feels better? Nope. It's just a vicious circle. You'll be advised to change from one type of drug to another for the rest of your life and you will still NEVER really handle your depression coz once off them, you will return to the state that you now find yourself in, depressed! Let me have your email address and I will help you.

Reply to Munchie