Question
Posted by: jennifer | 2008/01/29

deppression

Hi I need to know where to go and contact details of someone who can help me. I have suffered from mild depression for as long as I can remember clearly running in the family. Take medication for it now, which used to help but seems not so much anymore. Have been to psychologists but they seem to concentrate on my childhood (which wasn’t that bad) and things that just don’t seem to get me anywhere. I have no control over myself anymore and am loosing more and more everyday. My anger issues are becoming increasingly bad to the point I am fighting with customers at work. I have no control of my eating habits and tend to spend every free moment sleeping to avoid my life. I have two beautiful daughters and an amazing partner and have nothing really going on in my life to make me feel so desperate and unfulfilled. I need to sort this out I cannot go on not knowing why I am like this. I need to have something to fix and honestly believe there is something inside that just isn’t functioning correctly. Please help me find someone who can help me find the cause of my problem, for my family’s sake and mine. Thank you.

IF you run into ANY psychologiost who seems mainly interested in your childhood, explain that you didn't come for obsolete and unproven therapy, and want to rather see someone using modern and valid methods. And if they seem deeply disappointed when you reveal a basically happy and normal childood, or want to argue or insist that theremust have been nasty things happened, know that you are in the presence of a quack. Get someone who does CBT ( the anxiety-depression support group can help you do so ) and work within a method that actually works. It will help deal with anger problems, too. Its not really so important to know WHY this has been happening --- anyone can invent a "why", even a very plausible one --- but whether their method actually works, rapidly, and produces desirable changes. Stop hunting the cause and start working on the cure.

1
Posted by: coco | 2008/01/31

Hi Jen

I think you have a desire for a purposeful life?...
as a young lady I think that having kids and being married would make me happy, but what I have realised is that regardless of what we have or think what we need to ensure happiness it would never be, unless we fulfill ourselves first and use our God given potential
Try a new hobby, join the gym, read whatever makes u warm inside, pursue it

Reply to coco