Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2007/02/28

Depot & weight gain

I would like to know if taking the 3 month injection is going to cause weight gain, and the reason for that - maybe an ingredient in the injection? If one is on the 3 month injection and wants to stop, can you just start taking the pill or do you have to wait untill your periods return? I believe it can take up to 1 year.

The injectable causes weight gain in many women due to the progesterone. You can start taking the Pill without waiting for a period, as long as it is in the period when the injection is still active.

1
Posted by: Maya | 2007/03/01

Everyone is different, so it's hard to say whether you would gain weight on the injection. It can take 9 months to a year for the injection to work it's way out of the body, so it can take that long for your periods to regulate. See what the doc says about the pill straight after the injection, as you will need something if you don't want to fall pregnant. I don't see that it would be a problem though.
Weight gain and contraception is a tricky issue and can take a few months of trial and error to find the method or pill type that's right for you:)

Reply to Maya