Question
Posted by: tania | 2007/06/05

depo question

I am 40 years old. I have been on depo many years on and off. After my daughter was born 8 years ago i was sterilised and subsequent to that had very heavy bleeding when i had my period. My gynae put me on depo as she said i did not need a hysterectomy. Since I have been on depo I have not had a period at all (In fact all the times i have been on depo between my children i never had a period) NOw for the past 3 months i am having a heavy period every 2 - 3 weeks for about 2 days. This time i have also felt very tender in the region wher my caesar scar is.
is this something i should worry about or is it normal

Dear Tania
The depo sometimes causes the lining of the uterus to become overly thin, causing bleeding. Please see your gyne as you may need to take some estrogen supplements just to balance the hormones again.