Question
Posted by: Mel | 2006/07/18

Depo Provera

Two questions - i have been on depo for many years for heavy periods (was sterilised 8 years ago). My gynae has always told me that it is not a problem and is better than having a hysterectomy. Today i went for my injection and the sister talked to me a bit and when i told her my mom has arthritis and osteoperosis she said i should not be on depo for so long. If I take calcium should I be OK - I am happy on the depo (am 39)

2nd ques - i was a 10 days over date when having depo today, should i expect any breakthrough bleeding. have been on depo for the past two years without a break and no periods

thanks

You could have a bone density scan to see what your bone volune is like. This will give you some idea as to what to do.

People react very differntly to Depo, so it is hard to say whether or not you will have breakthrough bleeding.