Posted by: Stu | 2008/07/03

Dentures at 28

i am 28 yrs old, have my 4 font teeth capped already as well as 2 of my molars. I am havin serious tooth pain on one of my capped teeth which is supposed to have had a root canal done on it. i am SERIOUSLY contemplating having my teeth pulled and complete dentures fitted? Is this advised? My mom has dentures and my dads teeth arent anything to write home about, so i feel its inevitable!! Another thing is i have boney lumps under my tongue etc which is apparently caused by grinding of the teeth,will this cause any problems with the denture procedure & comfort whilst wearing them.

many thanks

Expert ImageProsthodontist

Hi Stu.

No. Not without serious consideration of the following:

Dentures without implants to support them will result in continued bone loss which will lead to further ongoing problems, especially over a longer period.
I would suggest that you
(1) See you dentist regarding the current pain as soon as possible.
(2) Investigate different options of restoring your mouth with either a removable partial denture (metal based if possible) or dental implants.

Good luck and enjoy your weekend.

Posted by: Toothless from South Africa | 2013/08/29

I use to suffer from endless toothache. I had all my top teeth extracted last year March, and although I dont have cronic toothache anymore, the dentures are not very "sexy" if you know what I mean. It took a bite out of my self confidnence and took me forever to get it back. I am still too shy to smile properly. The only complaint i really have is that the dentures becomes too big for my gums often and then I have to have them refilled. This is due to the bone loss in my gums. I am only 34 years old and will properly have to do this for the rest of my life, but I must say - this beats having cronic toothache. Let me warn you: It is F**king sore, very uncomfortable, and you will need alot of support from your family. My dentist even had a meeting with my husband to warn him of how I will look, that I wont be able to eat for about a month (liquid diet was excellent for weight loss :)0. Good luck but do some more research about dentures before you rush into something.

Reply to Toothless from South Africa
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/29

Please don't ever get dentures, ever. I am suffering since I was11 years old till now at 58. A young 58, I must say. Please dont . I can write a very long message here why you should not. Its hell for-ever. goodluck. My father had dentures and my mother had top dentures and they allowed the military dentist to take my teeth out at 11!!!. And they knew how they themselves battled. My brother had fillings and mine where just pulled out.

Posted by: Vanessa | 2008/11/14

I had my tooth extracted 3 weeks ago and suffered infection of which I was treated with antibiotics. 3 weeks later, I' m still suffering from infection. My tongue is stained due to a grassy medication inserted into the hole. But now, I find it very difficult to eat due to my tongue being very painful.

Please give me advice on how to sort out this problem.

Reply to Vanessa
Posted by: toothless | 2008/09/28

NO NO NO NO No No NO NO NO NO Do Not have dentures at your age. beg ,earn or steal the money, but get help soon...
You will regret being toothless for the rest of your life dear 28 year old .
From someone who knows and is forever sorry ...

Reply to toothless