Question
Posted by: Louwrens | 2008/01/19

Dent in chest

My son of 17 years has a serious dent in chest. It is very obvious. Could you give me answers to the following please:
1. Will it influence his ability to exercise extensively and get fit.
2. Can this condition be improved without an operation?
3. Can this condition be improved with exercises?
4. What health implications do a dent in chest has?

Dear Louwrens

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Your son has Pectus Excavatum. This condition will not influence his ability to excercise extensively and to get fit. Unfortunately, it can not be fixed and improved by doing exercise. To correct the condition he will have to undergo an operation. His condition holds no health implications. He should however, refrain from smoking.

Kind regards