Question
Posted by: H25 | 2008/07/16

DENIAL

CS

Hi there. Hope things are looking better for you. I really feel for you having lost your precious MM - I know how it feels - my brother and family had a wonderful cat that also did an AWOL and never came back. All of us were very upset.

I have had chronic kidney problems for many, many years. Before I had my left nephrectomy (in Sept this year it will be 4yrs - cant believe it!) I was sick, sick, sick all the time - infection after infection. Then it was mentioned by one of my urologists (not my current one) that I needed to start considering having the op (this was around 2002) but at the time my mom was "absolute no no!" - it was important to me to have her support. Then Sep 2003 my gp sent me to another urologist for another opionion, because I kept getting sick. To cut a long story short, he said he was only prepared to consider it if when I had my next lab positive infection he would take me to theatre and take a urine sample directly from my bad kidney and then take it from there. That sample was so septic that I was then at risk of developing septicemia, so I HAD to have the op. So I had it on 3 Sept 2004 (yes I remember the date, time, believe me everything!) Before my op and after I have been on maintenance treatment to stop me getting sick. Now comes my question. Last year somewhere round May I had a lab positive infection, the first for a long, long time, and was put onto antibiotics which fixed it up promptly. My urologist and gp then wanted me on maintenance treatment. I have been on it since until end June this year. I pleaded and pleaded with my gp to allow me to go off it and he finally gave in last month. I really want to believe my op is the reason for my not getting sick and being on the maintenance makes me upset every day because I keep thinking its my maintenance, NOT my op that is doing the trick, despite my gp stating otherwise! Am I in denial, i.e. I just need to accept the fact that its better for me to stay on the maintenance and not get sick and accept that that's no big deal? My gp was not entirely happy for me to go off it, but agreed to it on condition I go back on it if I get another positive infection. I have been off it 15 days now, and so far so good. I really want it to stay that way, but am I being unrealistic? The period between June 2007 and June 2008 I have not had 1 infection. My gp said also its of no significance, because its such small daily doses - 50mg Macrodantin

Thanks for the help.

Why does it feel important to you that the op rather than the maintenance therapy ( or, more likely BOTH together ) is what has been effective in keeping you well ? Without the op, the maintenance chemo probably wouldn't work ; but without the maintenance drugs, the op would probably not be able to be fully successful ? WHy not celebrate the success of the combination ?

1
Posted by: H25 | 2008/07/16

CS

I was still getting sick while on maintenance before my op, but this still doesnt totally convince me that my op is the main reason for my no longer being sick and that the maintenance is just assisting it. Why is this?!

Reply to H25