Question
Posted by: Clueless. | 2006/04/10

Delusions.

I'm concerned C. I wish I could talk alone, but since we can't, I'll share. I have no idea what is real and what's delusions anymore. Sometimes, in the blink of an eye, something disappears. Now is it there, or is it not? NB: Not was. I can't trust my brain anymore. It playes tricks on me. Mostly dangerous ones that can land me in some trouble. Is there any way that you can identify or spot the delusion? How do I differentiate?

Hi Clueless,
And with a question like that, it would have to arrive on a day when, for various technical problems, this site itself tended to appear and disappear ! The issue with delusions is that they are sincerely held beliefs which are for excellent reasons not shared by others. And it's a complex definition in some ways, as one would exclude, perhaps, religious and political beliefs. Apparently many Italians believe that the unattractive Mr Berlusconi is a fit Prime Minister, a belief many others round the world would find hard to share --- but they may be misguided or mistaken ( or maybe it's us ) but not deluded.
When an Iraqi politician believes that people are plotting against him, he's probably right ; when a Durban housewife has such a belief, she may well be deluded.
And you seem to possibly be describing some form of hallucinations, where again, the issue of external validation arises. In my lounge, both you and I would see a piano, and we could each play on it, and others would hear the music. Perhaps in your lounge you might see a piano, which nobody else would see , and which, even if you thought you could make music on it, nobody else could hear it --- those would be hallucinations, perhaps combined with delusions.
In short, though, the only sensible way to check it out, if one is experiencing dodgy and doubtfully reliable perceptions, would be to see a good local shrink for a proper and detailed assessment.
And the pot issue is actually highly relevant. While it can induce temporary shifts in brain function that could include hallucinations and/or delusions, chronic use, especially in people who may for other reasons be vulnerable, can produce more marked and more lasting effects of this sort, which may need corrective medication to normalize things again, and pot is worth avoiding in such situations.

3
Posted by: Lady Lea | 2006/04/11

How are you. I was worried sick about you!

Reply to Lady Lea
Posted by: C. | 2006/04/10

It happens off the pot too. I don't ask help for something I know the reasons/causes for. But thanks for your half cent worth.

Reply to C.
Posted by: CC | 2006/04/10

stop smoking the pot!

Reply to CC