Question
Posted by: Tumi | 2008/01/16

Delivering your baby at 37 weeks

Am a diabetic first time mother-to-be. My doctor told me that I can deliver my baby at 37 weeks. Is it safe for my baby. Will she be well developed.

Dear Tumi
Yes you can deliver anytime from 37 weeks if the sonar and everything is OK - it is to prevent your baby from getting too big due to the sugar in your blood, also in diabetic patients the placenta tends to calcify later in the pregnancy causing decrease in blood flow to the baby through the umbilical cord. So one does not want to leave the baby in too long.