Question
Posted by: cathy | 2004/01/04

Delaying menstruation<br>

My daughter is now 14 and a half. She started her periods in April and seems to be very regular.

We are due to go on leave next week, which by all indications will be the start of her menstrual cycle. We are only going to be away for a week and therefore she will be in a position where she will basically not be able to swim for the entire week. I have tried to encourage her to use tampons, but she is nervous of this and is unable to insert them.

Is it possible to delay her period, at least by a few days. The 2 doctors I have spoken to do not want to give her anything.

I am afraid this will spoil our holiday, as we will all be swimming and be at the beach, and she will be unable to enjoy this.

Please Help!!!!

You have probably left it a bit late to do anything. Provera tablets can be used to delay a period, but they should be started 10 days before the period is due. It probably would not be a good idea anyway in a young girl who has only recently started menstruating.

1
Posted by: cathy | 2004/01/05

Her period is basically due in 10 days time, do you suggest I get it for her, and would I need a prescription for her

Reply to cathy