Posted by: Crystal | 2008/10/01

Delayed Stiffness

I started hitting the Gym two weeks ago, and am slowly becoming addicted.
Weird thing is that initially I suffered no stiffness or sore muscles, then suddenly two days ago, Wham! There it came &  here it still is, (only beause I have kept going to Gym). Feels normal now, like it should have in the beggining.

Isn' t it a bit weird that this didn' t happen in the beggining.
I' m really, really, really unfit &  was expecting to suffer straight away.
I' ve pretty much been doing the same thing the whole time &  haven' t changed my workout routine to bring this on.

My Boss thinks it' s because my body was not familiar with uric acid &  didn' t know what to do with it. (Joke)

Also, I am very muscular/stocky (get it from my Dad).
I' m doing circuit but trying to keep my weights light &  reps high.
Will this prevent me from looking like Arnold Schwartzy?

How many " Reps &  Sets"  should I aim for?

Please talk blonde to me, because I' m not very familiar with the whole ' reps/sets'  jargon. Just been using a bit of logic up until now.

Aaaaand... I am extremely overweight (BMI 40), my toes go a bit numb on the orbitrec after a while. I' m guessing that my circulation must be terrible. Is there anything wrong with a little numbness in the extremeties? Could it just be the weight smothering the flow a bit.

Thanks a lot, sorry to bombard you with so many questions, but I' m really trying to achieve weight loss &  fitness the healthy &  correct way. And I' m totally taking advantage of the free help/advice offered by yourself.

Hi Crystal

The stiffness is interesting - it might be a reflection on what you're doing in the training sessions. You're right that normally, you'd get stiff almost right away, but that's not always the case - you might, for example find that as you've gotten stronger and more confident, you're training just a tiny bit harder and that increase is all it's required to push you over the limit to cause stiffness. It's nothing to worry about though, it will go away in time, just take it easy for a day or so and then resume training. It won't happen the same way again in the future.

As for the training, yes, the idea is light weights, many reps. Probably aim for about 15 reps, but the weight must be light enough that you could probably, if required, lift it 30 times. So we're talking a reasonably comfortable weight by the 15th rep - you shouldn't feel that you're straining by teh time you hit 13 or 14. Then try to do 3 sets. In other words, 15 reps, short rest, makes up 1 set, and then repeat another two times.

The numbness is the toes is likely just pressure, yes, and that will go away in a short while, once your circulation and nerve control improves. The thing about the orbitrek is tha tyou have constant pressure on your feet, and that can cause this. Try to shift your weight around a little, every few seconds, just a tiny adjustment in weight distribution and you'll find that this should go away.