Question
Posted by: Chantell | 2006/11/13

Degenerative L5/S1 disc...........urgent

Hello Dr,

My name is Chantell. I have had an MRI done and the results were as follows:

At the L5/S1 level, a central and left parasagital annulus tear and disc herniation is noted. Mass effect on the thecal sac and on the left S1 nerve root at its exit from the thecal sac are noted. The L5 nerve roots pass superior to the lesion through the foramina and are not involved.
CONCLUSION:
Degenerative L5/S1 disc with central and left parasagital disc herniation compressing the left S1 root at its exit from the thecal sac.

Is this something that has to be operated on or are there other alternatives. I have also been diagnosed with fybromalgia and have been living on Lentogesic and muscle relaxants for a few years now, but now the specialist says it is time to operate. I am petrified of hospitals and have this scared terrible feeling in the pit of my stomache that if i do this i am going to land up in a wheel chair.

PLEASE HELP - I am terrified.

Many thanks
Chantell

Dear Chantell
Operation is not always neccessary - if you are scared, get a second opinion -it is YOUR back!
also read http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/lumbar/lumb01.html