Question
Posted by: Kay | 2008/08/07

Degenerative cervical spine

I am 34yrs old. I was diagnosed with a cervical degenerative disease a year ago.Fortunately the nerves were not affected. I was put on conservative therapy, physio a course of anti inflammatories and a moderate excercise programme.However, a year has passed and the pains are no different from the date of diagnosis.Is this normal? Is one meant to be in pain constantly with the above condition. Please help, i really am frustrated.

Kay

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dea Kay
Degenerative disease refers to the wear and tear canges of the joints and in your case it is affecting the neck vertebrae. This means that there are probably some bony growths called osteophytes between the vertebrae and the little joints are not articulating well.
Some people have no symptoms and others experience extreme discomfort. Make sure you have a good pillow and keep on doing neck mobilising exercises. You can also try Pilates exercise. Unfortunately not everyone responds the same to therapy and surgery is not really an option- it is usually a last resort and not guaranteed to be successful- fortunately you have no nerve impingement.
You can also try some heat therapy and different anti-inflammatory drugs. Good luck!