Question
Posted by: Pika | 2004/11/14

Degenerative Back Disease

I have been diagnosed with degenerative spinal disease in my lumbar spine. Have severe herniation of all disks L1-S1. Also suffering from acute and chronic pain in right leg. Possible nerve root damage to right leg nerves, no reflexes in right leg. According to all research spinal fusion for so many vertebrae is a bad idea. True or false? Is there a moderate form of surgical repair except fusion? Am only 28 and would like to have a family one day. Any advice?

Pika, it might be a bad idea, but it doesn’t sounds like you have much of a choice here. If it is just due to intervertebral disc degeneration, there are operations available to just replace the discs, but if the whole vertebra is affected you have serious trouble. The best would be to see a good neurosurgeon and get his opinion. Good luck.