Posted by: Nobbles | 2008/11/20

Deformed sore middle finger

Hi, Im in my mid 50' s and have worked as a PA all my life - i.e. I type daily. I have what I assume is osteo-arthritis n my middle finger which gets very fat and painful on some days. I take a glucosamine supplement every day for joints. Should I go to a surgeon and see if surgery could straighten my finger. I can no longer grip with that hand as the middle finger doesn' t close. I also have one toe which gives problems now and then. By the way I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis but too scared to take any medication because of side affects. What do you recommend and is there some specialist I can see in the Northern suburbs cape Town. Thanks

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Nobbles
Please contact the Osteoporosis Foundation on 021 9317894- we will give you a list of names of specialists treating osteoporosis. Regarding the finger- I think you need to see a rheumatologist for an evaluation of the arthritis and possibly a more active form of treatment for the arthritis if they think it is necessary. There are two lady rheumatologists in Panorama who can help.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.