Question
Posted by: Sade | 2007/05/27

Deep venous Thrombosis DVT

Please doctor help! My sister went to thearte on Monday to check her tubes because she wanted to conceive. They told her that by afternoon she will be discharged it was a day procedure.Things got complicated ended up in ICU because of the vein that has burst. She is now out of Icu but still in hospital. Her leg is now inflamed and was given a big bandage to put in her leg forever. What i want to know is, is this a permanent thing or she will get better. She is seeing different specialist and they all give her different information. Some are saying she will be fine after six months, some are saying its a permanent damage. She is very dipressed and doesnt know what to do . For now she is given oral treatment for this thromboses. What was the gynae doing on the vein

A deep vein thrombosis is different to a burst vein. If she has a DVT, this is a complication of many forms of surgery. The gynaecologist would not have been working on the vein. However, being immobile in theatre and having work done in the pelvis (where the veins pass through on their way to the leg) can cause leg clots in patients who are predisposed to this. I cannot tell whether the damage is permanent or not without an examination and all the medical details.