Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/12/05

deep pain in thigh

I am a 48-year-old woman who has a mainly sedentary job and spends hours daily commuting by car. I have badly developed varicose veins in my left calf. Over the past two days I have developed a trobbing pain in my left thigh - to the extent that I am now worried that this may be deep vein thrombosis, although I know that that conditions usually has few symptoms. Can I rule out this condition?

Dear Worried
If your one leg is slightly more swollen than the other one, (measure with a tape measure) and you have pain on moving your muscles, it may be safer to get a duplex doppler examination to exclude DVT, although most DVT's happen in the calves. Pain in the thigh can also be due to soft tissue injury or to referred pain from the back or to infection in the bone or bone disease. In any event I think you should see your doctor about this!

1
Posted by: clumbsy | 2009/01/09

I had slipped on some ice from dizzy spells about 4 or so weeks ago, my right thigh hit the corner of some wooden stairs, i have approx. a 2 inch spot thats hard about 3in above the side of my knee it still hurt but no visible bruise my husband thinks i should have it looked at in case of any blood clot. Should i be worried about this?

Reply to clumbsy