Question
Posted by: nicky | 2007/04/17

decreasing body fat percentage

I am trying to put on a few kilos. I have a slim build but a pretty high body fat percentage (23 -and I am a 21year old female). In terms of both exercise and diet, what is the best way to put on weight but decrease my body fat %. Please bear in mind I am at varsity from 8-6 every day.

Dear Nicky
If you are trying to gain weight then please stop worrying about your body fat %. According to Prof Tim Noakes in his book 'Lore of Running' women who are not top athletes have an average body fat% of 24%, so your body fat% is already below this level. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.

1
Posted by: Pat | 2007/04/19

I am trying to lose body fat.

Reply to Pat