Question
Posted by: JOZI | 2008/05/23

Decision giving me sleepless nights

I intent resigning from my present job at the end of June 2008, The reason being that I intend finding work at home were I will be able to cut on my accomodation and travel expenses. the problem is since I have taken this decision I have sleepless nights, I have been working for the past twelf years and i cannot imagine life as an unemployed.

Its a bold move, and even the boldest amongst us feel anxious at such times. Its not merely a geographical shift, but moving to a degree of unpredictability. So long as there is work for you to do, people who WILL use your services, you will be self-employed and not unemployed.

5
Posted by: Britty | 2008/05/24

Jozi I can understand your sleepless nights as when I gave up my job to do my own business I too had sleepless nights. For 6 long months I couldn't sleep and to make it worse I discovered that even satellite tv is rotten in the early hours of the morning. The stupid thing about all that worrying is that the business took off from day 1 so I don't know why I spent the first 6 months sleepless. I reckon that if you plan this venture with a back up plan and support if something goes wrong then go for it. Many bosses would hate to lose someone after 12 years and would want you back if your venture does not succeed, so suss your boss out on that point then sit back and enjoy the adventure of your own business. Good luck.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: Zola | 2008/05/23

I agree. Why not find a new job first before you resign, that way you won't be anxious about being unemployed. And jobs don't always come when you want them, it could end up taking very long after you have resigned to get a new offer and then you would be really depressed.

Reply to Zola
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/05/23

why not try applying for jobs at home while you still in jozi? That way you can see what the scope is like in your field of work

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Maria | 2008/05/23

Jozi, are you reasonably sure that you will be able to find work at home? Then you don't have to worry. Write down on a piece of paper exactly why you took this decision, and why you think it will work out. Then look at this whenever you get over anxious.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: almost mad | 2008/05/23

hi, im still young and dont know too much when it comes to working for 12 years. but i would like to say that i hope you get better sleep this weekend and maybe go to the chemist and get something herbal for the anxiety thats keeping you up at night. just speak to some one who works there.

Reply to almost mad