Posted by: Lisa | 2008/09/06

Death of cat (REPOST)

Today I had to put my cat down. He was not even a year old (born 27-09-2007). I feel so empty inside and cry all the time.
I dont know what to do, I feel like dying just so I can be with him. Im only 22yrs old and this is the first animal death I have experienced. Pls help :(

sorry to hear about this, Lisa. I know full well how awful this can feel. And I suspect this may be your first experience of the death of anyone close to you ? So even more disturbing. We've been keen cat lovers ; then had a beloved cat murdered by a savage gardener next door, and the body thrown back over the fence --- about as ugly as things could be ; and that was devastating. Within a month the unpleasant drunk riolled out of a shebeen fighting with someone, and rolled under a bus, breaking both his legs badly, and the women in the neighbourhood to whom he had been so unpleasant, wanted to throw a party. He never gardened again, and the neighbourhood cats were safe. Then our lady cat who had been with us for 16 years, died of natural causes at home, and that was awfully sad in a very different way. Then we got a cheery and bossy little boy cat, who was adored by us both. And one month before my mother died, he went out for a walk and has never been seen again --- yet another unpleasant way to lose a pal. Now we have tempted fate, and have another cat, a sweet little lady. I hope she can be around for a long time, as I can't face any more losses !
The loss of your cat demonstrates yet another way in which this sad loss can occur. The deliberateness of it may seem especially upsetting to you, but as this was ecommended by the vet, I must assume that there were good reasons for this, and it spared the cat from further suffering.
Don't let this grief overwhelm you, though --- there's a great need for more good cat-lovers in this world. If you contact a good group like CLAW, which rescues and cares for strays and lost cats, especially in the townships, you may be able to help to save the life of another lovely cat needing love and a home ; and surely that is far more what your first cat would have wanted ?

Posted by: Carol | 2008/09/06

So sorry to hear of your loss Lisa , those of us who are cat lovers feel very deeply about the loss of a kitty.

May I make a suggestion ???? Go to a shelter tomorrow and pick out a little rescue kitty , it wont replace the one you have lost , but a new kitty getting up to mischief will help ease the pain , and you will also be saving a life.

Take Care

Reply to Carol