Question
Posted by: Kerry | 2006/07/12

Death how to deal with it

Hi, 4 weeks ago my father had a minor op, suffered massive stroke 8 hours later, a severe heart attack a week later and died 2 weeks later. He has been dead for nearly a month. I was his baby girl. I am afraid that I have not accpted this yet as I have become ill. The last time I saw my father alive in ICU, that night I fell ill, chest infection, this has been going on now for 4 weeks, I have now got Full Blown Flu, still coughing and very down. I drank alot the first 2 weeks then I stopped and I also quite smoking. I am not sure what my mental state is but I think i am probably holding on to the edge of a very high cliff and I am not sure how to deal with this...please help

So sorry to hear of these sad events, kerry. All death is hard to deal with, and especially when it was this sudden and unexpected. The stress of grief can lower the effectiveness of your immune system and hence the flu. If you have quit smoking and drinking, that's a good thing. Do arrange to see a good local counsellor to work through your grief. It takes 9 months to a year to get through the necessary grief work, so don't expect a rapid change. Remember the good things about him, and seek comfort from other members of your family, and friends, too.

1
Posted by: Kerry | 2006/07/12

Hi CyberShrink,

Thank you for your feedback and support. I unfortunately cannot see someone as they are all asking for fees upfront but will take your advice and stay in touch with poeple around me....and family. thanks again.

Reply to Kerry