Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2004/02/16

death from pulmanary embolism

my mom passed away recently from a pulmanary embolism in both arteries and apparently the clot came from her pelvic area (as per the pathologist).

she hadnt had an operation and was only 48, wasnt obese. she had a persistant cough and complained of shortness of breath for two weeks. The doctor gave her cough medicine.

About an half and hour before she died her chin was slightly blue, but she was fine. What led to the blueness, what could have caused the clot that led to her death and where did it come from and how would the pathologist know that the clot came from pelvic area.

Please help me get a better understanding....

Expert ImageArchive

1. Factors predisposing to the development of deep vein thrombosis:
Prolonged bed rest, surgery, severe trauma, heart failure, women who take birth control pills with a high estrogen content and cancer.
2. The blue around the chin would probably be due to a lack of oxygen.
3. When you find a pulmonary embolus you should look for the source, which is mostly in the deep veins of the lower legs, but can also originate in the pelvic veins. The pathologist must have seen thrombi in the pelvic veins.