Question
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/15

dear www

HI,

Blood test aren't always reliable. You see, my friend went for a blood test in August. November she has a baby. Her blood test said negative, but she was already 4 months pregnant.
Maybe it is all in my head, I was thinking about that too.
But everytime I managed to convince myself, something else happens that indicates that I might be. I don't have a medical fund and work from 8-5. No time for clinic-waiting. I'm in a very difficult position.

Thanks.

The blood pregnancy test is based on measuring the hormone, HCG. This is produced by the pregnancy until about 16 - 20 weeks. Thereafter the placenta takes over the support of the pregnancy. Late in pregnancy, therefore, the pregnancy test may be negative but, by this stage, the pregnancy is usually obvious on examination. Your friend was obviously quite far along when she ahd the blood test. Before 16 weeks, the blood test is extremely accurate.