Question
Posted by: ciska | 2003/12/15

dear doc,

I would just like to tell you about the unusual pregnancy my friend had. She is rather over weight and average length. She's a nurse and working long hours. She had a baby 3 weeks ago. She told me that she started getting sick. She took 2 hometest, both were positive. She got a pill from one of her friends to bring the baby down cause she could not have a baby cause of the long hours she is working. Anyway, she took a hometest and it said that she's negative. She also went for a check-up and took a blood test and both was negative. She smoke like a packet of sigarettes a day. She also fell on her "stytjie" and it made a huge swelling with pus wich she had to get antibiotics for.

She had this test on that Friday, and she told me that she started to have heavy period pains. So sore, she started crying and everyone thought she had hay fever. She went to have Mc Donald's that night with her parents and then she told her mother that they have to go to the hospital cause something is seriously wrong. When they got there, the sister told her that she's 3 cm dilated and she's gonna have a baby right away, she needs medical attention.

She didn't even know, I mean the blood test were negative, the consultation were negative. How can that be? She's on the injection and had her periods the whole 9 months. The baby is as healthy as can be. She weighs 4,06kg and she's 3 weeks old.

Can you give me advice on how this could be possible? She asked me to imagine that when she gave birth to that little girl, they didn't even have a dummy or a bottle, they had nothing!

The pregnancy test becomes negative after about 5 months. However, by this time a pregnancy should be obvious on examination of the abdomen. She was probably much more advanced in the pregnancy than she thought.