Question
Posted by: JJ | 2004/01/19

Dear CyberDoc

Thanx so much for answering my question. I just found out that the patient tested positive. What is the percentage of me getting the HIV virus from a needle prick and will the medicine really prevent it?

JJ

JJ, the percentage is very low, but I can’t find any hard data. All the articles say things like “the chance of transmission is very low” or “much lower than HBV”. It also depends on how deep the prick was and how much HIV blood was injected into you. I will phone a HIV specialist in the morning and try to get some definite figures.
The best would be to take the drugs for at least a month because although we don’t have double blind placebo controlled studies to prove it, it definitely does help (I personally know of someone that cut himself during a caesar section on a HIV positive patient and after taking the drugs, he stayed negative). Good luck.