Question
Posted by: Me | 2004/01/09

Dear all

Today I visited this forum for the first time and you have no idea how glad I am that I did. I must be one of the few people left who has an AIDS free family and if I have ever met a person who has AIDS (which I'm sure I have) I do not know about it. I have done some stupid things in my life and not realy thought twice about it. Only after reading some of the postings did I realise what risks I have put myself in. I know I am not HIV positive as I have been tested a few times - for life policies and pregnancy and have since only been with my husband who has also been tested negative. I am realy glad that I was board at work today and decided to read the AIDS forum. I wish more people would use their spare time to educate themselves about AIDS. Maybe then we would have less people being infected, but like with most things we don't realy take any notice until it affects us.

My daughter is now 4 years old and I am thinking "how am I going to make her understand how important it is to be responsible when it comes to sex?" I know that when I was younger I thought I knew everything, now you have opened my eyes. But how do I open hers?

I am sure that many of you get dispondent at times and think that life is not worth the trouble. But remember that you are important. Just by posting your thoughts and experiences you have made a difference to at least one person - me.

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

I am glad that you feel this way. When the time comes for you to discuss having save sex with your child you will know. She may be a little to young now. All you can do now is to protect her.

1
Posted by: Inc | 2004/01/09

Dear Me... you have a point there... and it's something I often think about! I have 3 children and I dont know how to explain this to them or when to do it. My son is 10 and my daughters are 7 and 7 months... They dont even know that I am HIV+!
Yes, as human beings we do tend to take so much for granted... I just hope and pray that others who come to this forum will benefit in some way! I never thought this would ever happen to me and when I appied for an insurance policy ... I had the mat pulled from under my feet when I received a letter saying that my application was denied due to the state of my health!!! I don't know anyone personally who is infected... but being in this forum has made me realise how many indeed are... like you say... HIV is not something you can identify by just looking at someone!

Reply to Inc