Posted by: Jen | 2012/09/07

Dealing with nasty neighbour

Hi Cybershrink!
My friend, who''s in her 50s, lives alone (except for her 3 very well-behaved dogs) - next door to a really mean-spirited neighbour &  his wife. This neighbour has been really rude over the years but has now stepped up his intimidation techniques.
Recently, she cut the hedge that borders onto her property - only her side as it was taking over her veggie garden.

She asked her gardener to be very careful, but unfortunately, he lopped off a bit much on 1 spot, leaving a bit of a dent. I''ve seen it &  it''s nothing really bad, &  will have grown back in 3 months. This neighbour has now declared war on her (he literally shouted at her: this is war!). He has even called the police because of the hedge incident &  his wife was overheard telling them that she''s sure my friend trespassed on their porperty to damage the hedge.

He''s pretty intimidating (although he very ostentatiously works at a charity so everyone else thinks he''s a nice guy!), and complains about other neighbours just not to the extent he''s harassing her.
I feel he is being abusive &  trying to scare her. How can she handle this situation? What''s the best way to deal with such a person? She''s afraid to speak up because he may do something to her dogs - many years ago, her 2 daschhunds ''disappeared'' after managing to get through the fence to his garden). What to do?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Maybe she needs a spot of legal advice, but as far as I know if you cut YOUR side of a shared or boundary hedge, its none of the neighbour's business. SOUNDS LIKE ONE OF THOSE NEIGHBOURS FROM hELL WHOSE ONLY HOBBY IS TORMENTING THE FOLKS NEXT DOOR. i USED TO HAVE NEIGHbour like that. aGAIN, A LAWYER COULD ADVISE WHETHER SHE HAS ENOUGH OF A COMPLAINT ( AND PREFERABLY WITH PROOF OF what the nasty man is doing, to perhaps go to court and get a restraining order agains him and his wife to make hem stop harassing him.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.