Question
Posted by: Nandi | 2007/05/14

Dealing with failure

Hi, im 32years. 5years ago i left my job as an sales assistant to pursue law degree full time. Unfortunately things did not go as planned, having been out of school for some time, the university pressure was just too much for me and i just wasn't coping. In the three years that I was at there, I only managed to complete my first year. This was such a blow to me, i felt like a such failure and quited. I got married two years ago and had twins. I also got a job with one of the biggest law firms as a receptionist and im earning the salary i was earning 10yrs ago:-( I registered with Unisa this year and deregistered again-lacked motivation. My hubby tells me i should forget about it and stop wasting my time and money accept that i will never be a lawyer. That i can not accept, I know i'm capable of greater things than answering phones for the rest of my life. How do i motivate myself to study once again(through Unisa) and get over the fear of failing again. I really want to finish my studies bc i know that will open doors for me. Please help.

I'm sure you are capable of more challenging work, and of pursuing your dreams, though of course it is wise to do so realistically. For instance, check out --- aren't there less complex courses which would enable you to work as a legal equivalent of a paramedic, a para-legal assistant to actually work on cases ? And what is the attitude of the law firm you are working at, to your idea of further studies ? Is it possible that they would support the idea of the UNISA course, and help to supervise your studies there, and to encourage you ?