Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2006/11/08

D&C necessary?

Hi there,

I had a very early miscarriage - I was only 4 or 5 days into the pregnancy when the bleeding started, which lasted on and off for around 5 days. I would just like to know whether you think that a D&C would be necessary when miscarriage happened so early on.

Dear Wondering

There are several determining factors with respect to a D&C, post miscarriage. The thickness of the lining of the womb is important, as is the likelihood of the possibility of a multiple pregnancy. These factors need to be taken into consideration before deciding whether a miscarriage is complete or incomplete. However, in general a very early miscarriage (4 or 5 days into the pregnancy) does not warrant a D&C perse.

2
Posted by: Lynette | 2006/11/09

That is what my gynae explained to me as well i was about 8 weeks pregnant baby died very early but the sac was still growing so i had to go for an d&c to remove everything.

Reply to Lynette
Posted by: Angela | 2006/11/09

I miss carried at 5 weeks and they did not do a D&C they can normally see on the scan if everything has come way if it has then no a D&C is not necessary but if not then they normally do it.

Reply to Angela