Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2007/05/10

daughter's strange behaviour

My daughter for the past 3 days, maybe longer has been doing a shrugging shoulders motion, I have watched her when she is just riding her bike or watching tv, even when she is in the shower. I have asked her if anything is going on at school that she wants to talk about but she said that everything is fine and she is having happy days at school. She is almost 8 and in grade 3. My mom passed away 2 weeks ago suddenly and we all had to go to the free state to see my dad and have the cremation and we went as a family unit to throw the ashes on the mountain. She is a very clever little girl and understands everything that has happened and for the last 2 years has known that my mom was on insulin injections and had seen my mom take her insulin injections as well. I have asked my daughter if she knows that she is doing the shrugging of the shoulders motion and at first said yes she knows while she is doing it and I eventually got it out of her that in fact she does not know when it is happening or even before it happens. I am very concerned about this. I suffer from OCD and have only admitted it in the last couple of months. Could this be spured on by my mom's death or could it be something else?

There are actually several possibilities, including a dystonia, or an obsessive tic, but it is probably a behavioural tic related to distress at her grandmother's death. As that happenedonly 2 weeks ago, these are still early days, and the habit may fade away. If it persists much longer, though, it'd be worth having her seen by a child psychiatrist for a full assessment, to clarify what is happening, and advise on managing it

1
Posted by: C. | 2007/05/10

Rare chance but it can be dystonia. Maybe get her to a neurologist to check it out.

Reply to C.