Question
Posted by: Sad Mom | 2005/06/06

Daughter taking pills

Doc, I need your help. I have written to you before regarding my daughter. She is almost 9 yrs old & is ADD-Ictal Disorder. She goes to a remedial school & is adapting well. The other night we found out she took pills (panados) I was so upset. I took her to her room & asked her why. She said the Devil told her to take them. I am worried, she is the kind of person to keep her feeling to herself. I do get upset with the thing she does and shout at her. And something I don't have time to spend with her. My husband & I feel we to blame. How can/should I handle this matter as I worry what she will do next. I cry four hours, she is such a lovely firendly girl! This can't happen to her. PLEASE HELP.

I would wonder why she took Panados, as they're certainly not taken for pleasure. I'd be more worried that she might have had an idea of suicide and self-harm. So I'd be worried that she may have become seriously depressed, and may deserve treatment for that. Ideally, she should be seen by a good local child psychiatrist to be best able to take into acount the effects of the different medications she is receiving, as well as to be able to assess her properly and provide counselling appropriate to her age. This can happen to someone with her medical problems, and it is not your fault, or her father's, or her own.

2
Posted by: Skiboo | 2005/06/07

Dear Sad Mom,

I really feel for you. I don't have kids myself, but I think our kids are in dire need of some assistance. My 10 year old nephew goes into such rages that he broke a TV set. Someone I know has a 12 year daughter at a clinic out of town for not eating. What is happening to our children??? Your daughter is young, and if there are any problems there, they will only get worse as she hits puberty. You need serious intervention now and you need to do all that you can - but most importantly, let her know continually just how much she is loved. Even when you are angry with her, let her know that she is loved. Just loved. No matter what she has done, she is just loved. I think that is the most important thing ever and you may see some changes in her that could surpise you. And of course, counselling to help her open up and deal with her own feelings and to accept the love that you give her will also help.

Reply to Skiboo
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/06/07

Dear Sad Mom, I can't give you advice except for maybe that you should take her for counselling in order for her to open up, and that maybe you should make time to get to know her. My heart goes out to you, because I think what happened now is any parent's worst nightmare. I pray that things will come right for you and your little girl. Best wishes.

Reply to Buzz