Question
Posted by: sparky | 2004/10/11

Daughter 6 years

I am experience and sudden change in my daughter's (age 6) self esteem. For the last couple of weeks she is insecure, keep on telling me she wants ot change her face, hair and that nobody likes het. He art work at scholl she refers to as if every body just pretend they like it and they don't. As home nothing has changed and everybody are realy crazy over her as she is realy beautiful and used to have a very good self esteem. I spoke to her teacher who cannot help me is anything has changed or happened at school. Upon speaking to my daughter, I cannot realy get anything out of her, and she does not complain about anything at school or at home. Is this a normal change in little girls or should I be concerned about this?

Sounds like something has changed at school, maybe in her social life. Maybe some new kid in school is being cruel, and has also told her things like that nasty line about "nobody really likes your drawings, they're just pretending to do so " --- that sounds unlike what a kid would invent for herself, and much like what a nasty and mean little brat would say to another child in the hopes of hurting her. She'll probably grow out of this phase as mysteriously as she grew into it ; but talkign with her on a continuing rather than crisis basis will help, as would seeing a child psychologist for assessment and advice

1
Posted by: Sparky | 2004/10/14

Thank you very much for the help. Will keep a close eye on her.

Reply to Sparky