Posted by: ME | 2008/11/24


I am married to a pathological gambler.My husband gambles for more than 25 years.He is totally addicted.The gambling controls every aspect of his life.He is unemployed for more than 17 years.He gets money from people who send him and sometimes people ask him to do things for them since he is not working.He use to drive taxi and he uses that money to gamble.He must than look every night for that money because he gambles every cent away.We have two children.I work and study at the same time but I can' t make ends meet.Our children are both depressed and they use medication.Both of them can' t sleep properly at night.Our family docter threatened us they will take our children away.Both children have low self- esteem and constantly cry.One is still 9 years and the other one is a teenage girl.On Friday night the teenager just burst out.She was shouting and screaming and she went into the bathroom with a belt.I took all the tablets in the house and put it away.It was if she was mad for more than a hour.She told me someone just told her my father who is in hospital just died.She was like a totally mad person just screaming and shouting and accused us of incompitance.We stuggle everyday but can' t afford basic things like food and clothes for them.She screamed that she can' t take it anymore.It was late at night and all the people was just wondering what was going on.We first she was drunk but I know that she did not drink since she is very young.My husband did not talk to her and I feel she need our support because we are the cause of all this What was happening to her?Was it something in her brain that causes such an extreme outburst.She can' t sleep at night and she is just trembelling everyday.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Dump the bum. If he won;'t bother to get the treatment he needs to stop his gambling, and wastes all resources on that, neglecting you and the children, ghe doesn;t deserve any support from you, and it will indeed make him less likely to get the help he needs. And your child sounds seriously distorbed and should be seen by a child psychiatrist / child psychologist urgently, either privately or through a medical school department

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.