Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2004/11/19

dark vomit

Dear Cyber Vet

Over the past week our 3 year old Jack Russell has vomited on 2 occasions. Both times the episodes have been preceded by a loss of appetite and a general droopiness in her demeanour, and her vomit is of a dark brown colour, whereas usually its yellow. She perks up again about an hour afterwards, and otherwise appears fine.

Anything to worry about? She looks so miserable during an episode.

If vomiting is persistent, it needs to be attended to. An occasional vomit is usually nothing to worry about. Look for blood in the vomit (red or like coffee grounds), which should prompt you to seek veterinary help.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Chill | 2004/11/19

Does she have access to anything that she might be eating? I'd check around thoroughly - some dogs take a fancy to really weird stuff... I'm thinking here of things like potting soil, or manure, or compost, for example.

Reply to Chill