Question
Posted by: Eliza | 2010/09/27

dark ''smudges'' under eyes

My husband (55yrs) has developed ''smudges'' (like someone has wiped charcoal with a finger) under his eyes. I cannot describe it easier :) He is healthy, although takes BP controlling pills. He is overweight but is loosing weight in a controlled manner, gets lots of exercise and sleeps about 7hrs a night.

What could be this cause - I am wondering anemia, but we are firm supporters of suplements and eat a balanced diet...

Hallo Eliza
The most common cause of dark circles under the eyes is an allergy. Because the skin is so thin there, if you get congestion of the veins under the eyes due to a blocked nose, it may shine through as blue shadows. Losing weight can also cause sagging of the skin under the eyes. There are creams you can buy for lightening the dark circles (look at beauty counters at Edgars/Clicks) but let him also use an antihistamine if he is allergic or has hayfever.
Cold used teabags or cucumber slices on the eyes may also help

2
Posted by: Eliza | 2010/09/29

Thank you Dr Bets, will put him on a course of antihistamine. Thank you for your prompt relpy, really appreciate this.

Reply to Eliza
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/27

Hallo Eliza