Question
Posted by: Richard | 2008/06/05

dark rings under eyes

Hi there, is there anything I can use or do to get rid of the dark rings under my eyes ?

Thanks :)

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Richard, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one should determine the cause of your dark rings first before deciding on the appropriate treatment.

The following are causes for the ‘dark rings’ you have noticed:

Pigmentation

Hemoglobin that has ‘leaked’ from the venous plexus (collection of tiny veins) found in this area.

Loss of fat pad support allowing the skin to fall closer to the bone producing a groove with a shadow effect. This also allows the skin to sit closer to the venous plexus increasing the darkness.

Various combinations of the above.

Pigmentation: treat with topical products containing vitamin K and vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, glycolic acid, kojic acid, citric acid, mandelic acid, Bearberry extract, mulberry root extracts, licorice extract, and Arbutin.

Hemoglobin: can be treated with vitamin K oxide (Cernor XO).

Fat pad loss: treat with fillers (NASHA fillers or your own fat).

One should always remember to get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet, and minimize coffee intake as these improvements may help to reduce the appearance of the dark rings.