Question
Posted by: Anna | 2004/10/01

Dark Rings

Dear Doc,

I have very dark rings under my eyes. I have had this problem all my life, but now at 48 they seem to be getting worse. (darker) Is this a medical condition or not? Is there anything I can do to make them look better? (other than using makeup?)

Thanks for your time.
Anna.

Anna, the most common causes for dark circles around the eyes are allergies and lack of sleep. It is also often seen in serious chronic disease, and nutritional deficiencies like a vitamin C may cause it, but it’s probably due to lack of sleep and the underlying chronic disease rather than the deficiency itself.
Folic acid is often suggested as a remedy even if you have no folic acid deficiency on blood test. I have no idea if it works for dark rings under the eyes, but it can’t do harm if you try it. Another suggested remedy is a cream called circle clear available OTC at the pharmacy – once again, it’s not something that I have real knowledge of.
The best would be to make sure that there is no serious underlying problem – a visit to your GP will take care of that. I have found that if there is no serious underlying cause the rings will go away by themselves. Taking a good multivitamin and mineral preparation won’t do any harm either. Good luck.