Question
Posted by: Eye Sore | 2003/12/10

Dark embarrasing circles around eyes

Dear Doc. I’m 23 Indian and I have terrible dark circles around my eyes. I’m especially aware of it as I have fair skin. All I know about dark circles is that it is prevalent amongst Asian people and that it can be either hereditary or stress related. My problem is that I don’t know if mine is hereditary as my parents don’t have it and I’ve had these circles for about 2 years now. Iv tried lots of expensive eye creams, all claiming to remove these circles, but nothing has worked so far. Is there anything that I can do or use to reduce the darkness. I do drink lots of water every day aswell. Please help!

Eye sore, the most common causes for dark circles around the eyes are allergies and lack of sleep. It is also often seen in serious chronic disease, and nutritional deficiencies like a vitamin C may cause it, but it’s probably due to lack of sleep and the underlying chronic disease rather than the deficiency itself.
Folic acid is often suggested as a remedy even if you have no folic acid deficiency on blood test. I have no idea if it works for dark rings under the eyes, but it can’t do harm if you try it. Another suggested remedy is a cream called circle clear available OTC at the pharmacy – once again, it’s not something that I have real knowledge of.
The best would be to make sure that there is no serious underlying problem – a visit to your GP will take care of that. I have found that if there is no serious underlying cause the rings will go away by themselves. Taking a good multivitamin and mineral preparation won’t do any harm either. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Mr R | 2003/12/17

I'm not Indian so my reply may be way of the mark but here goes. When I get tension head aches I take BetaPain. Its the coidine that does the trick, as a matter of fact, for me its only only thing that works. But the next days I have very dark bags under my eyes.

Reply to Mr R