Question
Posted by: dark eyes?? | 2005/11/26

Dark circles under eyes

I have severe dark circles under my eyes. I am on HRT, sleep
badly and am on heavy antidepressants.
Somedays they are puffy. No make up covers up anymore, and
I am now being teased that I was in a punch fight. Stress levels
sky high. I am 45, work full time 7-7 6 days and don't have
house help. Extremely tired and suffer from constant headaches.
Wear a gum guard at night, to stop grinding and inflamation in jaw
muscles. Unfair to ask but any help. I cannot take holiday as I work for myself.

Dark eyes, the most common causes for dark circles around the eyes are allergies and lack of sleep/rest (this sounds like it is your problem). It is also often seen in serious chronic disease, and nutritional deficiencies like a vitamin C may cause it, but it’s probably due to lack of sleep and the underlying chronic disease rather than the deficiency itself.
Folic acid is often suggested as a remedy even if you have no folic acid deficiency on blood test. I have no idea if it works for dark rings under the eyes, but it can’t do harm if you try it. Another suggested remedy is a cream called Circle Clear available OTC at the pharmacy – once again, it’s not something that I have real knowledge of.
The best would be to make sure that there is no serious underlying problem – a visit to your GP will take care of that. I have found that if there is no serious underlying cause the rings will go away by themselves. Taking a good multivitamin and mineral preparation won’t do any harm either. Good luck