Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/19

dark circles

they make me look like an old panda bear. inherited them from my mom. is there ANYTHING i can do to get rid of them?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Anonymous, thank you for the question.

There are a number of possibilities (alone or in combination) for the dark circles that you have noticed:

A groove below the lower eyelid develops (known as the tear trough) resulting from a small pocket of supporting fat that thins and ‘drops’ allowing for what is known as the shadow effect and for the skin to lie closer to a venous plexus (collection of small veins) increasing the darkness noted.

Hemoglobin may ‘leak’ out of the venous plexus and sit in the skin further increasing the darkness noted.

Some patients also present with visible superficial veins or pigmentation or a combination of these two.

Occasionally patients present with various combinations of the above.

My first approach would be to examine the area of concern and find the exact cause to advise you on an appropriate treatment regime.

If there is fat pocket support loss I would use a dermal filler (Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm 24, Restylane or fat) in the infra-orbital area, as this would lift the skin out of the groove and away from the venous plexus. This will have the added benefit of removing the tired look and giving the eye area a youthful and refreshed appearance.
In some cases this may be enough to treat and correct the problem completely, but, if there is also hemoglobin one needs to use a topical product to allow the breakdown of this pigment (hemoglobin) – Cernor XO.
If the problem is superficial veins and/or pigmentation one should consider laser removal.
One should always remember to use a good SPF and eye cream to maintain the areas treated.

Please check the before and after photographs of the eye groove treated with fillers on my webpage –

I must add that using fillers in the eye area is considered the most technically demanding area of the face when using dermal fillers and as such should only be attempted by experienced injectors with specific training in this area.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: seipati | 2009/07/29

i have read some of the questions and replys and i find out that most of the time you have been sugesting people to use the Noestrata Brightening Creams and Pigment Lightening i would like to know under which skin care products do they fall eg. Ponds , revlon or avon range etc

Reply to seipati

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.